Great Oaks Elementary School will promote academic excellence in a caring environment.
Great Oaks Elementary
32900 24 Mile Road
Chesterfield Twp., MI 48047
(586) 725-4014 Fax
Standard Day: 9:06AM—4:02PM
Half Day: 9:06AM—12:36PM
Plan on Volunteering This Year?
This year Anchor Bay will be requiring that all volunteers submit a volunteer form before they plan on being in the classroom, going on a field trip, etc. The volunteer form is sent to our Central Administration bldg then sent out for a background check to the Michigan State Police department. There is a volunteer form in your students first day folder.
Great Oaks Service and Responsibility Team
Our "Great Oaks Service and Responsibility Team" is a great way for 5th graders to be actively involved and become a positive role model for our school. This team, sponsored by Mrs. Strackbein and Ms. Carney, has four different branches available for our students to become members of-the Safety Patrol, Office Squad, Health Team, or Bus Buddy Patrol. Service and Responsibility Team members should be outstanding citizens at all times. They must maintain good grades and exhibit exemplary behavior to remain a member of this team. We are very proud of the many 5th graders that have applied to become a part of this team this year! Click Here for a list of the team members.
Great Oaks School Song "Each Of Us Is A Great Oak"
Each of us is a great oak, growing in life's garden. Each of us is a great oak. We need the sun and the rain.
Sun, shine your warmth on me. Moon, cool me with your night. Wind, bring the gentle rain, Earth, dig my roots down deep.
Oh, Earth of us is great oak growing in life's garden. Each of us is a great oak, We need the sun and the rain. We need the sun and the rain. We need the sun and the rain.
All students will improve their reading fluency and ability to understand complex narrative and nonfiction texts.
For the students:
- Accelerated Reader
- Reading tracker
- Daily reading warm-up activities
- 30 minutes of independent reading each day
- Close and analytical reading practices modeled and guided by the teacher
- Use of graphic organizers to identify the main idea
- Use of guided highlighted reading
- Use of RAZ kids
- Training in Close and Analytical protocol
- Training in the Daily 5
- Training in Reading Tracker
- Other professional development and workshops
For the students:
- Weekly "quick writes" or summaries across the content areas
- Writing Tracker
- Instruction in the 6 + 1 traits of writing
- District writing prompts scored with rubrics
- Instruction in the common core state standards writing techniques
- Opportunities to publish writing
- Use of writing trait posters in the classroom
- Training in Writing Tracker
- Training in content area writing as described in the Common Core State Standards
- Professional Development activities on writing fluency
- Scoring writing prompts using applicable writing rubrics
For the students:
- Complete lessons / review geometric concepts throughout the day
- Have access to websites for geometric concepts, place value, number sense, regrouping, and fractions
- Use A.D.D or Math for Today
- Use manipulatives in math lessons (geoboards, pattern blocks, 3D shapes, etc)
- Use math journals to write about math concepts and explain their problem solving
- Review place value, regrouping, and number sense throughout the year
- Review fraction and decimal concepts through the year using real life applications
- After school professional development in the common core state standards
- Professional development activities focused on effective math instruction